Friday, October 22, 2010

Super Furry Animals - Rings Around the World


How to describe the sound of the Super Furry Animals... that's a tough on. The best description I could dare to give of these Welsh rockers would be "like Beck, but instead of his latin-funk stylings, think space-prog or psychedelic jams... or both... or neither". Are we clear now?

This album is all over the place, but in a really good way. It's certainly a trip, but one worth taking. Rings is only one of two SFA albums that I own and am familar with; the other one being Phantom Power which followed this release. It's also one of the reasons that I started this project. Too often this is the sort of album that I'd put on (or dig up in iTunes) just to listen to one or two tracks that really stand out in my mind, but it's certainly worth hearing from start to finish again.

When, is perhaps the question... I haven't a clue when I should be putting this album on; maybe in the car, with the roof down, in the summer, on the way to a party somewhere? It's certainly a 'feel good' album that can really get you going, but there is also so much going on at times that it screams "listen to me with headphones, dammit!". Multiple vocal melodies, distorted vocals, simple guitar lines which become over-powered by layers of techno wizardy... this album seems to have it all, but in a way that doesn't feel thrown together or forced.

Juxtapozed With U was the single that introduced me to the band (and this album). It's playful, bouncy and almost jazz-like in tone. The distorted verse vocal fits perfectly over the light-techno beat, contrasted with the strong chorus vocal, gives off that great 'call and response' feel.  This is going to be a love-hate kinda polarizing album for people I'd imagine, but I'm quite happy that I've just re-discovered it through this project.
Recommended track(s): It's Not the End of the World?; (A) Touch Sensitive; Juxtapozed With U
Worth another listen? Yes!
Overall rating: Three-and-a-Half Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment