Friday, October 1, 2010

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm

I don't really know how to label this sort of music. It's electronic, it's rock... it's awesome. This is an album that I have been known to pull out from time-to-time because it's just great. I don't remember the rest of the Bloc Party catalogue being as strong, but future reviews will sort that out. This album is solid.

I have no idea how popular or well known these guys are in Canada; I thought they toured with Broken Social Scene or were part of the Virgin/Toronto Island festival a few years back (Google says "Yes" to both), but that doesn't really mean much regarding the bands exposure over here. This album was a short list nominee for a Mercury Prize when it came out, but again, outside music snob circles, that doesn't mean much either.

This was a great album to end the week on: it's super up-beat, it's driving, has great drum parts, great hooks and vocals. Lyrically, I don't know if there is any sort of 'deeper message' to be had, but it's not one of those albums that is meant to be about the lyrics I don't think. Even the album's packaging is great: I love the cover art for this disc.
Recommended track(s): Positive Tension; Banquet
Worth another listen? Yes!
Overall rating: Four Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment