Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Our Lady Peace - Happiness...


Ever since I first heard the song Naveed on Much Music, I loved these guys. Our Lady Peace were an important band while I was growing up. I loved that they were Canadian and I loved that whole scene (OLP, IME, the Tea Party, etc.) that was going on at the time. This album, Happiness... Is Not a Fish That You Can Catch, the band's third studio release, probably came out as that era in Canadian rock was fading out, but it was still a solid effort.

This album finds lead singer, Raine Madia, as cryptic as ever. There are very few OLP songs that I probably understand (fully), although I'm sure I know almost all the words to them. Yet, this was a signature of their sound at the time so you kinda have to let it pass. A few too many of the songs start out slowly and then become heavy by the first chorus, but as an album, this ebb and flow seems to work out not too badly. Perhaps it was the opportunity to work with jazz drummer Elvin Jones (who guests on the album's last, and somewhat over-done, track), but I found Jeremy Taggert's drumming to be quite good on this disc.

Overall, the singles released from the album are great; the stuff in between is also quite good. The album might be two tracks too long -- it gets kinda spacey and forced at that point -- but it still rocks like it should. Oh, and they get points for (prominently) featuring their signature 'cover model', Saul Fox on the artwork a'la Naveed.
Recommended track(s): One Man Army; Potato Girl; Thief
Worth another listen? Yes!
Overall rating: Three-and-a-Half Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment