Wednesday, October 20, 2010

My All-Time Favourites

Hmm... I was thinking that after two four-and-a-half star reviews, I should probably make a public list of some of my favourite artists, albums, etc., of mine so you, the reader, have some idea of where I'm coming from. I have lots or weird favourites from odd genres or artists, and I'm sure I won't remember everything I should list here, but these are some of my 'all time' favourites (in no particular order) that I will always go back to:

All-Time Favourite Artists:
  • Broken Social Scene – my introduction into the incredible Canadian indie music scene; their second album, You Forgot It In People is a modern day classic in my opinion
  • The Arcade Fire – the release of The Suburbs this summer has solidified their place in my list here; I can't explain to those who don't love the band, why I love them, but I know I do
  • Joel Plaskett (Emergency) / Thrush Hermit – down home, rockin', East Coast music love... I can't understand why these guys aren't huge, like The Tragically Hip huge, at least in Canada
  • The Tragically Hip – speaking of... as a Canadian who grew up at a time when classics like Up To Here and Fully Completely were released, how can you not love them (at least, up to Phantom Power, of course); this is just great bar-room, straight ahead, Canadiana-fueled, rock music
  • Ryan Adams (& the Cardinals) / Whiskeytown – I think I first heard a song by Ryan in an episode of Felicity many years ago and have been in love with his work ever since; don't mistake his prolific nature with a lack of quality, becuase there have been very (very) few misteps along the way
  • John Mayer (Trio) – he might be an artist that you don't truely understand until you've seen him in concert, because he's obviously so much more than the "pop wizard" that top-40 radio makes him out to be; the man can play and his lyrics (especially on his first two albums) paint wonderful pictures
  • Radiohead – I've been following these guys since The Bends and have loved every album since; ignoring all the press about the "pay what you want" release of In Rainbows, they're still pushing forward and releasing some great, innovative music
  • Pearl Jam – in the 90s, it was all "are you a PJ fan or a Nirvana fan?" and I fell firmly in the PJ camp; I'm also one of those" Vs. is a better album than Ten" people... but we'll sort all that out when I review their back catalogue
  • Counting Crows – I'm always surprised at how many people don't realize that the band is still recording and have released a number of albums since August... and Everything After; another "must see" live act, Adam Duritz gets into his music like few other performers do
  • Pink Floyd – I love Dark Side of the Moon; I love The Wall and Wish You Were Here... but I also own everything else they've released, so understand that it's not just DSotM or The Wall that has made me a fan because there is so much more to them
All-Time Favourite Albums:
  • Smashing Pumpkins, Siamese Dream – I was going to include the band in the list above, but really it's this album that does it for me; not only is it a great album, but it reminds me of that time in my life every time I listen to it
  • Blind Melon, Blind Melon – this is an album that most people remember as the "bee girl" album, but it's really much more than that; if you've got it sitting around somewhere for "No Rain", start listening from track one and see what you think
  • The Acorn, Glory Hope Mountain – from the first track, the haunting vocals just grab you; the story behind this album is equally touching and the more I hear from this Ottawa-based band, the more I love them
  • Wintersleep, Welcome to the Night Sky – I'm certainly not a fan of their latest effort, but this album (their third) is an example of great indie rock, from start to finish
There are other artists who jump to mind when I think of lists like this – Nine Inch Nails, The National, Massive Attack, Elbow, Death Cab for Cutie, the Great Lake Swimmers, Dave Matthews Band, etc. – who probably belong on one of these lists somewhere, but I can't (at the moment) decide where. For now, however, I'll leave these lists as they are: ten artists I love and a handful of albums that I think are great. As with any "desert island" sort of list, I reserve the right to both change my mind and defend my choices at any cost. But, more importantly, now you have some idea of where I'm coming from in terms of what I really, really like.

No comments:

Post a Comment