Friday, October 29, 2010

Hayden - Everything I Long For


Wow... this album really takes me back. I thought that I'd first heard it on cassette tape, but I don't think I ever owned Hayden's first album in that format, so either I'm wrong or I'd borrowed it from a friend. Whatever the case, I'm glad that I heard it.

Looking over the whole of the artist's catalog, this isn't my favourite album; however, it's an essential piece of work as it really sets the stage for what's to come. This is an honest-to-goodness recorded-in-my-bedroom album, or at least that's the feeling it gives off, which is perfect for this sort of gut-wrenching honesty and expression.

I chose to revisit this album tonight after submitting Bad As They Seem as my lead track in a CBC Radio 3 "themed playlist" contest earlier today. Not only is this track the start of this album, but also of my playlist. The song (and album) starts with Hayden clearing his throat and then starting to strum his acoustic guitar with a low-E string that has been tuned way down. This open, trembling, throaty bass note really works with the artist's deep, over-emphasized delivery of the phrases ("Girl of myyyyy dreaaamms, things are as bad as theyyy seeeem..."). It might seem like a bit of a creepy song now (as he talks about being interested in a sixteen year old girl), but at the time Hayden was only 23 himself, so keep that in mind.

This was just the first of what is now seven, full LP, studio recordings that he's released; he's also put out a great double-live album which includes some fun between-song banter. However I heard this album originally, I'm glad I did.
Recommended track(s): Bad As They Seem; We Don't Mind; Driveway
Worth another listen? Yes!
Overall rating: Three Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment