Monday, November 29, 2010

treble charger - NC17


I can't believe that treble charger released this album more than fifteen years ago. Wow. Hearing the song Red, clearly the centre piece of the album, still takes me back to that time. There is something about that song that still really impresses me, resonates with me... it was (and still is) a great song that was released at the right time. Even all these years later, I can still remember the music video for it... and I probably haven't seen that clip in over ten years.

Generally speaking, the album is a lo-fi, garage rock effort by a band starting out. The production is fuzzy and the lyrics are often unintelligible, all with the exception of one track: Red. When this song starts -- track seven; another fact which I, for whatever reason, still remembered all these years later -- you can tell that they spent 80% of the album's budget getting this one song right. And, they did. From the opening notes, all the way through five minutes and ten seconds of heartbreak, they nailed it.

I've spent almost this entire review talking about one song, and that's because it's certainly the focus of this whole disc; there are other good songs, and some that might be considered filler, but this song makes the album. It was redone for the band's third studio album, with (I believe) a new intro and a slightly different guitar solo, but this will always be the definitive version of the song for me. The album as a whole is probably a two-and-a-half; the inclusion of this song single-handedly bumps it up to three stars.
Recommended track(s): 10th Grade Love; Trinity Bellwoods; Red
Worth another listen? Yes!
Overall rating: Three Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment