Monday, November 15, 2010

Sheryl Crow - Tuesday Night Music Club


To use a word that we were throwing around at the dinner table last night, re-listening to Sheryl Crow's debut CD left me feeling underwhelmed. I remembered this album as being upbeat and really strong from front to back, but that's not how it sounded on this spin.

The album opens with a really, really slow track that is nearly five minutes long.  The song (Run, Baby, Run) is a good song, but such an odd choice for a starting track. Over all, I found the track order to be a bit of a jumble and the album as a whole seems much slower and less guitar-y than I remembered it.  Crow's vocals are strong throughout the album, as is the instrumentation.

Tuesday Night Music Club still ranks as one of my favourite album titles of all time, but listening to the album now, after not having heard it for so long, makes me realize just how much of a 'songs some friends recorded over a bunch of Tuesday nights' -kinda album this is. The Na-Na Song sticks out like a sore thumb and most of the songs are over four (or even five) minutes long; over all, the album as a whole just feels like it could perhaps have used some editing... I'm never a fan of filler material on albums.

But, the good songs are very good. Strong Enough and All I Wanna Do were both well received radio singles for a reason; the closer, I Shall Believe, is as strong and emotional a track as I remember it being. Crow has gone on to release six more (studio) albums since this one, has worked with a number of other artists and even dabbled in acting; she's certainly a artist worth taking notice of, but unfortunately her debut album doesn't seem to have stood up for me.
Recommended track(s): Strong Enough; All I Wanna Do; I Shall Believe
Worth another listen? ~Maybe
Overall rating: Three Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment