Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Snow Patrol - Final Straw


This was the first album I heard/bought from the Irish band Snow Patrol. Of course, the follow-up album included the international smash hit Chasing Cars, but it was the singles from this album that first caught my ear.

However, the singles seem to be the only good part of this album on this re-listen. The first four tracks on the disc were bland, comprised of pop-rock cliches and I really couldn't tell where one ended or the next began.  Then, the a trio of tracks that caught my ear arrived (see "Recommended track(s)" below).  And then the rest of the album felt tired and unimaginative again, to the point where I kept looking at my iPod to see how many tracks were left in the album.

The singles were okay, but nothing spectacular. Any comparisons to Coldplay or other UK/Irish bands don't jump out at me on this re-listen. It was very much a stereotypical pop-rock album which sounded a touch over-produced and lacked any sort of energy, as if this was the one hundredth time they'd played these tracks in the studio.  I don't know what I heard to make me think I should give this album another listen, but this might have been it's last listen from me; I'll have to see sometime if their follow-up was any better.
Recommended track(s): Spitting Games; Chocolate; Run
Worth another listen? ~Maybe
Overall rating: Two-and-a-Half Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment