Monday, September 27, 2010

Barenaked Ladies - Stunt


There was no rhyme or reason to review this album first. It might be just because it was one of the most recent albums that I'd put into my iTunes library in anticipation of starting this project.

This is the fourth studio album for the Barenaked Ladies and, I believe, the one that really broke them in the US market. While we'd known about them for years up here in Canada, international success had been hard to come by. It's also the last/most recent studio album that I own by the band. Their follow-up, Maroon, never really connected with me and I stopped buying their albums after that. Listening to this album, and the joint vocals of both Ed Robertson and Steven Page, I can't imagine their sound today without Page (who left the band in 2009).

Lyrically, the album is much darker than I remember it being, and significantly darker in lyrical tone than Gordon (although, in hindsight, Maybe You Should Drive may also have darker undertones; I'll have to listen for that when I review that album in the future). Musically, however, it's still a fun, poppy album with lots of highlights. Next to Gordon, this is very likely my favourite BNL album and a pleasure to have heard again.
Recommended track(s): One Week; Light Up My Room; Who Needs Sleep?
Worth another listen? Yes!
Overall rating: Four Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment